THE GREEN PARTY OF CALIFORNIAFOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Monday, February 20, 2006
Sara Amir, 310.270-7106 firstname.lastname@example.org
Pat Driscoll 916.320-6430 email@example.com
Susan King 415.823-5524 firstname.lastname@example.org
Bush, Cheney, Rumsfeld, Gonzales should be impeached, county Greens declare; Green-led S.F. Supervisor panel also calls for impeachment
NEVADA CITY, Ca. – Green Party county officials here have approved an official resolution calling for the impeachment of President George W. Bush, Vice-President Dick Cheney, Secretary of Defense Donald H. Rumsfeld and Attorney General Alberto Gonzales for committing "high crimes and misdemeanors."
And, late last week, the chair of the San Francisco Board of Supervisors Rules Committee, and Green Party member Ross Mirkarimi, voted with a majority of the panel in calling for the impeachment, or resignation of Bush and Cheney. More than a year ago, the Green Party dominated Arcata City Council also called for Bush's impeachment.
According to the one-page resolution drafted by the Green Party of Nevada County (about 40 miles northeast of Sacramento), Bush, Cheney, Rumsfeld and Gonzales are being cited for:
- "Ordering the National Security Agency to conduct secret warrantless searches and seizures of the private personal communications of American citizens;
- "Authorizing and permitting torture against human beings;
- "Depriving American citizens of their constitutionally guaranteed rights" (through the use of indefinite detentions);
- "Launching an illegal, unjust and undeclared war against the sovereign sate of Iraq;
- "Authorizing the use of illegal chemical and radioactive weapons in military campaigns;
- "Repeatedly, consciously and with forethought, lying to the American people and U.S. Congress" to justify the war in Iraq;
- "Authorizing, ordering and condoning direct military attacks on civilians...in Iraq;
- "Violating and unilaterally abrogating lawful signatory treaties...providing for humane treatment of combatants and civilians."
"Americans now face a grave conflict. We can either support the policies of George Bush, or the Constitution - but not both. They are mutually exclusive, and we must choose wisely," said Beth Moore Haines, Nevada County Green Party spokesperson.
"It's time for concerned citizens to rise up and remove George W. Bush from office. Two-thirds of the American people agree he's taking our country in the wrong direction. It's come down to Bush -- or the Constitution. We hope Americans everywhere will join us to defend our Constitution," said Kent Smith, a longtime Green in Nevada City.