I want to see a Green Party of California focus on maintainting / improving the status of the California Delta. In many real ways, the Delta is the Hub of California's future. It is also at the nexus of many environmental practices:
- increasing population in Southern California creates a bigger demand for diverting water from the delta.
- if additional water is diverted, it takes away from agricultural use in the Centeral Valley.
- additional water can be saved if people are willing to build more dams.
- the reduced water flow from diversions and dams will affect fish populations, especially chinook salmon.
- reduced water flows will allow more saline water from San Francisco Bay to enter the delta and affect water quality for both agriculture and human consumption.
- additional pumping of ground water causes delta farmland to sink below sea level.
- and it is all threatened by the rising sea level that is a result of global climate changes.