Monday, December 03, 2007

Hearing on Prospect Island Fish Kill

According to a news release that I just received from Dan Bacher (Ed. The Fishsniffer) Assemblywoman Lois Wolk will hold a hearing on the Prospect Island Fish Kill this week. Here are the particulars. It is open to the public.
WHEN: Thursday, December 6, 2007. 9:30 AM

WHERE: Rio Vista City Council Chambers
One Main Street, Rio Vista, CA 94571
I have just sent the good Assemblywoman the following note. I would be very pleased if more of the readers here send her a similar message.

Assemblywoman Wolk,

I don't belong to your political party. I am a Green.
I don't live in your district, I live in John Laird's.

Still, I hope that you will pay attention to this note, because you are the one member of our State Legislature who appears to be doing the right things regarding the Delta.

I believe that your hearing on the Prospect Island fish kill is an opportunity to make the point that the bureaucracies of Department Fish and Game and the Bureau of Reclamation care more about budgets than they do about results, more about protecting their turf than about the environment.

This problem was so avoidable. Every environmental and fishing organization in the State of California would have contributed to a solution, as they are doing after the fact. All it would have taken is for one person to decide not to go business as usual.

Please do not let the rest of us down. We care about the Delta. We care about biodiversity. We do not care about self-protective bureaucracies..

No comments: